Since I do not see any complaints online about the firmware messing up the camera, I went ahead and updated my camera firmware today. The firmware has been made available since September 23, 2016. I downloaded it at the Sony website here: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ILCE7M2&template_id=1®ion_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab
After you have selected the operating system that you're using, you can download the firmware (It's a .exe file) by clicking onto the "Download" button.
Get your usb cable ready and follow the instructions on the screen. It's good to have a sufficiently charged battery in the camera.
The process takes around 10 minutes.
These are the updates:
- New lenses are supported.Note: Please refer to the latest compatibility information on the Web.
- Phase-detection AF is supported
- The lens name will be correctly recorded in the EXIF
- The AF can be used in movie recording mode with the SEL85F14GM
- Adds the 14-bit uncompressed RAW format option
- Adds Phase-detection AF support for A-mount Lens Adaptor LA-EA3 (LA-EA1)
- Adds a MOVIE button custom key settings that can be assigned for the movie recording function
- Improves camera function and provides picture improvement for the new lenses (SEL35F14Z, SEL24240, SEL28F20, SEL90M28G)
- Provides enhanced image stabilization system in half-pressing the shutter, in Focus Magnifier, in movie recording, and other functions
Note: PlayMemories Camera Apps™ currently does not support shooting or recording using uncompressed RAW format